Description: The 667 Madison Avenue Statue of Liberty is a bronze casting of the original plaster sculpture from which the New York Harbor Statue of Liberty was scaled. The work was acquired and installed by Leonard Stern in 2011 as a salute to American democracy and the legacy of the French-American alliance. Mr. Stern's father Max immigrated at Ellis Island in 1926 and often recalled the powerful moment of sighting the Statue of Liberty as his ship entered New York Harbor.
Sculptor: Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi (1834-1904)
Casting: Susse Fondeur, Paris, the same foundry that cast the scaled statue for Bartholdi to use to create the New York Harbor Statue of Liberty, cast this reproduction.
Background: The original was donated by Bartholdi's wife in 1904 to the National Museum of France with the stipulation that it not be replicated for fear that it would be damaged. A new digital imaging process was developed that represents no threat to the original, which was recast using the classic lost wax method. A history of the Statue called 'Liberty Enlightening the World' was published to support the replication program and is available for download at http://bit.ly/q4IODF.
Inscription on Statue at 667 Madison:
STATUE OF LIBERTY
Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi (1834-1904)
This statue, cast in bronze from the from the original plaster sculpture, was enlarged 16 times by the artist to create The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor, perhaps the most recognized symbol of freedom in the world.
It was presented as a gift to the American people and paid for by the citizens of France. The statue celebrates the core values of both countries: freedom, democratic government and the equality of man.
It also celebrates the bonds of friendship between our two countries and the vital financial and military assistance that France gave our Revolutionary Army commanded by George Washington during our young nation's hour of greatest need.